Relation with Lake (class): none. Cemetery without Lake-link. 
Total nr. of casualties buried here (TC) end WW2: 136, today 69 (on Nes General) 
Lake casualties, initially, end WW2 (LC-I): 0
Unknown today: 21 (end war 23)
of which unknown from Lake (LC-U): 0
of which unknown from North Sea (NS-U): 21
Initial burial site in WW2.
Post war burial site for collection and reburial from other sites: no.
Cemetery with Lake casualties today: no.



              
AMELAND ISLAND (FORMER) WAR GRAVES

There is no relation Zuyder Sea with Ameland. However, our files on Dunkirk and Jonkerbos enabled a (rough) reconstruction of what today is not longer visable on Ameland island: the exhumed war graves at Hollum, Ballum and Nes Roman Catholic Cemetery.

Two months after the Dunkirk evacuation (May 26 - June 3rd 1940), Ameland was confronted with this when 50 dead soldiers washed ashore here. Amidst them was a German civilian meteorologist, in service with the Luftwaffe, shot down in the North Sea in an observation Donier 17, weeks before Dunkirk. 38 victims were French soldiers & sailors, one of them was a woman. Another was Dutch army Lieutenant van Gorp. He had also tried to escape the Germans via Dunkirk. Nine dead came from the UK and of 1 person the nationality could not be established. The 50 were buried on the four cemeteries on the island: Hollum (16), Ballum (8), Nes Roman Catholic (6) and Nes General (20). During WW2 Nes General became the main cemetery for the island: the number of washed ashore airmen grew there to 95, of which 69 remain today. 


After the war 64 men were exhumed and moved to centralization war cemeteries on the mainland: in October 1945 the Americans from Nes General (11), in 1949 the French from all 4 cemeteries on the island (38), in 1952 the remaining war graves in Hollum (5 from the UK), from Ballum (2 UK) and from Nes Roman Catholic the Polish (4) and Commonwealth casualties (4). This article shows who they were. Their names should not be forgotten.  



 


For reaction or comments; send us an email,
see address and info at CONTACT.
Please use as subject title: 'Ameland'.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 



Photo right: 1945, the war has ended. An Allied group is welcomed on the Nes-ferryboat pier (visible on the satellite image above). Dutch officials and policemen wear their N.B.S underground army armbands (Dutch resistance). 

The officer with beret (near steering wheel of the car), is later visiting the grave sites on the island (see photo's further below). His lieutenant keeps a close eye on him (standing near the back wheel of the bus).
On the left, outside this picture, is a group of resistance men standing ready as escort (see photo further below). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


HOLLUM
  
Protestant church







 



 


 










  























The entrance gate and wall were renovated, for the rest nothing much has changed here. The French soldiers were moved in August 1949 to the central French war cemetery in the Netherlands in Kapelle near Goes, or to their homeland. The remaining 5 men from the UK went in 1952 to the CWGC war cemetery Jonkerbos in the Dutch town Nijmegen. They stayed together in Plot 8, row J, see underneath scheme. 



 




































     
   

















































































Headstone of Sgt. Albert Edwards Davis on Jonkerbos CWGC Nijmegen. Washed ashore and buried 2nd of August 1940 at Hollum, grave 13, see above scheme. His name is on the wartime wooden cross photo above right. 

 

 


 




The Dutch resistance escort that welcom the Allied soldiers.
The 2 men up front seem to wear German army boots. All carry a British Lee-Enfield rifle and an US-style cloth bandolier with extra ammunition.
The bus is in the backgroud. The boat is docked in front of them and moored on the chevroned pole. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



BALLUM

Protestant church





















 

 

Ballum cemetery. The black and white photo is dated August 15, 1940.  






  

























The French soldiers were moved from Ballum to Kapelle in 1949. The 2 Commonwealth men to CWGC Jonkerbos in 1952. For more on Ballum visit 626 Sqn - Willem de Jong site page 14b. (also for more on the USAAF B-24  42-95247 "the Dixie Flyer").


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




The officer with beret is welcomed at the pier. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


NES RC

Nes village, Roman Catholic cemetery, St. Clemens church. Address: Kardinaal de Jong weg 33.



























Photo above shows the church in better days. It was struck by fire in February 2013 and burned out, but will be restored. 


Photo below left: photo dates 11 August 1940. The first grave is the German grave, which still is here today. On the cross is readable "Regierungsinspektor aKR Dr. Josef Wille". The German occupation force on the island put a vase with flowers at the cross and covered it with pine-tree branches in his honour. Photo below right: 4 Allied soldiers after the war at the same row of crosses, photo taken from another angle. 




























   



































      

Dr. Wille was officially not a German soldier, he was a civilian weather specialist, hired-in by the Luftwaffe. When the German war dead on Ameland island were exhumed (about 10 men) and centralized in Ysselsteyn in 1958, Dr. Wille stayed behind and is still here. Remarkable is 1). the German cross on his stone, 2). 'GEF.', meaning 'Gefallen' (Fallen in battle) and 3). the R.I.P. (English) below. He is one of the few Germans in the Netherlands buried outside the German centralisation War Cemetery Ysselsteyn. See our article on Ysselsteyn for more info on this. Probably the Wille family paid for eternal grave rest in Ameland before 1958 and therefore Wille's remains could legally not be moved.




















  




  These 4 Allied soldiers are possibly  French-Canadian. They pose behind grave nr. 4 with Ahmed Ben Belkacem, Marrakech - Maroc and grave nr. 5 with an unknown French soldier buried 31-7-'40.


































































Nes Roman Catholic cemetery 1945. The officer with beret has laid a wreath at the most centre cross of the row at grave nr. 6 (photo below) and salutes. His lieutenant is standing behind him at the attention. The Dutch crowd carefully follow the officer's every move.













Photo right: the grave visible most left is of Ahmed Ben Belkacem (Marrakech, Maroc). 263th French-Moroccan rifle Regiment Tirailleurs Morocains, died at sea on evacuation Dunkirk - France begin June 1940. Washed ashore and buried here 28 July 1940. Below his grave today in Kapelle, NL.



































4 crosses further (right side of the officer) in this row are Polish airmen, in grave 7, 8, 9 and 11. See details in above scheme on Nes RC. Below photo's show their graves in Nijmegen today. 








































Above the headstones of the 4 Polish airmen that initially lay on Nes RC. They were reburied at Jonkerbos cemetery in Nijmegen in 1952. Apparently it was was not possible to identify Polish airman Walenty Sieckza for 100% by name or being of the Polish Air Force (PAF). He received a CWGC RAF headstone and was buried as Unknown, but between his crew mates Bankowski and Domanski. Polish corporal Meller is from another aircraft. He washed ashore exactly a year later. 
Except for the German grave of Dr. Wille, all war graves on Nes RC were cleared in 1949 and 1952. 

For more info on NES RC see the site page of 626 Sqn - Willem de Jong, page 14.  

 

 

 

 

 

 



NES GENERAL CEMETERY 

NES, Braamduinerpad 13. No church, this cemetery is positioned alongside a path that is leading into the dunes. 





Overview of Nes General cemetery

The French row was in the centre from the  flagpole towards the trees on the right.

The blue lines indicate  the position of the cleared USAAF graves.





 























Today the general cemetery in Nes contains 48 identified Allied war dead, including the Dutch Lt. van Gorp. There are also 2 unidentified Polish airmen and 19 Commonwealth Unknown, bringing the total on 69 men. Information on the Unknown can be found in our 'Buried as unknown'-database. Info on the 2 Polish airmen is further below. In the right corner in the back of this cemetery are also the graves of 2 Germans.   



THE DUNKIRK VICTIMS

Photo below: this black and white picture is dated August 28th 1940. What we see is the first and at the time the only row (row 14) with Allied casualties on Nes General cemetery. 19 Dunkirk victims were buried here end July 1940 (under the heaps of sand). On the day of this photo, a month after their burial, the white crosses are ready and placed next to the small black poles that indicate the grave number. In the back a man is inspecting the first white cross placed (by him), which must be on the grave of French soldier R. Garet. 
































 






































Photo below: Nes General Cemetery, in the afternoon of the 28th of August 1940: the first 15 Allied crosses on Nes General are placed in position. 4 graves contain 2 coffins and their crosses have 2 inscriptions. On this day the cemetery contained 18 men and one woman, in total 19 Dunkirk victims. The woman remained unknown but was moved in 1949 to the central French war cemetery in Kapelle (NL), so apparently she was French. Maybe a nurse on board one of the ships evacuating Dunkirk? In the month September another soldier was buried, bringing the total number of Dunkirk victims on this cemetery on 20.

On the last cross (nearest to the camera) can be read: 'een onbekende Franse? soldaat', = 'an unknown French? soldier'. This man was not identified in 1949 as French nor as Commonwealth. He was lowered again in his grave 14.6 and received a very unusual grave marker; a rectangular stone with on it (in Dutch) 'ONBEKENDE SOLDAAT' = 'unknown soldier, 1940-1945'. On the second cross is written 'ERNEST BELMONT'. On the third cross 'A.H.M. v GORP'. 

SS Pavon
On 3rd June 1952 the mayor of Ameland wrote he had 3 Dutch soldiers buried on his island: 1 in Nes (2 Lt. van Gorp), 1 in Ballum and 1 in Hollum. We believe that with the (Dutch)man in grave 14.6, there could have been 4, the fourth without his knowing. Two of the Dutch have probably been reburied in their home town, as for example Lt. Bastiaan de Zeeuw was in Oudenhoorn. We believe the 4 men fell into the sea when their evacuation-ship the ss 'Pavon' was hit by a bomb on 21 May 1940 and was beached near Hemmes de Marck/Hemmes d'Oye between Calais and Dunkirk.

 



































Photo above: after the above picture was taken, this row was expanded on this side in September 1940 with 2 more graves: Royal Navy Seaman S. Blakey and an unknown British soldier on the 30th. Because the French were exhumed in 1949, this row, although positioned today in the centre of the war graves plot, is empty and without headstones.



1945 COMMEMORATION ON NES GENERAL





















































Photo above: Commemoration 1945. The initial row with French crosses from 1940 has become the centre row on the cemetery since behind and it front of it new rows with crosses formed during WW2. The officer with beret has placed a wreath central on the front row and salutes. This is the grave of F/Sgt. Alfred J. Down, RCAF, killed 2nd March 1943 and washed ashore here later. To the left of him is the cross of Sgt. John R. Glendinning. On the cross visible most left is engraved: "I.R.V. Ruff, Nieuwzeelandse vliegenier, NZ airf RNZAF'.

Photo below: The officer salutes at the grave of F/Sgt. Down. Third and fourth cross the left are 2 unknown Polish airmen in grave nr. 5 and 6.  







































THE 2 POLISH UNKNOWN ON NES GENERAL 

Today's headstones on the front row (row 13) of grave 5 and 6: the two unknown Polish airmen, never identified. The Pilot Officer (Porucznik) washed ashore on July 2nd 1943 and the Sgt. on the 10th of July 1943. These important dates are not marked on their headstone.




































It is believed the officer (left stone) is Pod-Porucznik (ppor. pil.) pilot Stefan Tomicki. If this was correct, then the other man (washed ashore 8 days later) could be a Sgt. of his crew, either Sgt. Wladyslaw Marczuk or Sgt. Tadeusz Kniazycki. However, evidence is thin and further research on this is necessary. Aircraft was Polish 300 Sqn Wellington HE148 which came into the North Sea 10 miles from the Dutch coast off Wijk aan Zee in the night of April 8/9 1943. Four crew members (1 unknown) of this aircraft were brought by the sea to the beach of Kennemerland-north & Petten and buried in Bergen aan Zee.

For more info see site Polish War Graves.nl article on Nes-Ameland





THE AMERICANS ON NES GENERAL
 

Eleven American airmen were buried here at the end of the war. 7 of them washed ashore on various dates.
 Their grave position is marked in blue on the photo further up. 



















































Photo right: The officer lays flowers at the grave of Canadian F/Sgt. Down. Text on cross right: 

               24. 5. 43
          J. B. LAROCK
ENGELSCHE VLIEGENIER

translation: 24 May 1943, J.B. Larock, English aviator. 


USAAF 2Lt. James S. La Rock washed ashore after Sgt. Down and was the first American buried here (see his data in above scheme). At that time the Germans and the people of Holland were unaware of the start of the American bomber offensive and buried the first American airmen in their unknown flying suits as 'English airman'. That would soon change.

The fact that Lt. La Rock was buried early in 1943 and as Englishman, can be the reason that he is buried as only American from this cemetery in "Ardennes" (the others on "Netherlands", Margraten, NL). An English airman J.B. Larock May 1943 could not be explained here and he was taken to the US-identification centre in Neuville-en-Condroz. There he was identified and buried to this day on B.28.5.   



 


THE UNKNOWN 

For more info on the 21 unknown (23 including the 2 Americans) on Nes General see our database 'Buried as unknown' in the Search menu. 



MORE ON NES GENERAL 

On these site pages: 

- www.ameland-ww2  wargraves Nes 
- www.ameland-ww2  burial plan Nes WW2
- 626 sqn-willem page 14c

 

 



THE FRENCH WAR DEAD LEAVING AMELAND 1949

After the war the French government decided to assemble all their war dead in the Netherlands (as the Americans). Family could choose for return to France or reburial on the central French war cemetery in the Netherlands in Kapelle. In August 1949 a French army grave recovery unit arrived on Ameland and exhumed their countrymen on all 4 cemeteries on the island: Hollum (13), Ballum (7), Nes Roman Catholic (4) and Nes General (14). The remains were layed into new coffins and on a rainy day in August these were loaded on flat bed trucks for transport to the ferryboat.  

On the 15th of August 1949 the trucks with French coffins are leaving Nes village and Mayor Walda is laying flowers on behalf of the people of Ameland. The truck with civilian Dutch (Frisian) license plate B-34774 was registered on 11-11-1948 on company Firma Jacob Wagenaar & son in Nes.  




































Respectfully he procession is moving up the road towards the ferry. French soldiers of the grave recovery unit are marching alongside the trucks and trailers. People from Nes are following. The vehicle in the centre is an army Chevolet C60 and the civilian registered truck up front an old English Guy-Ant. 







































 

Remarkable is that used front truck is a former British army Guy Ant 4x4. These were left in Dunkerque in 1940 by the hundreds if not thousands and on such same vehicle the journey to France is made back 9 years later.

Photo right: the Germans recovered Guy-Ants from Dunkirk and re-used them in their own army. 

Whether B-34774 is purchased  by the Wagenaar family from German or British army-surplus is not known. 










































The army Chevrolet probably stayed on the island. It was painted blue and got a job at the lifeboat station.






































 

© ZZairwar. Zuyder Zee Air war.

 
Sources; 

- ZZairwar research files on Kapelle and Jonkerbos Nijmegen 2011. 
- ZZairwar photo collection
- Site Ameland-ww2 (in English)
- Site 626 Sqn-Willem de Jong (in English)
- Site Waddenindeoorlog.nl (choose field in right upper corner for English version)
- Site Polish war graves (in English)
- Historical Society Ameland
- Amelander Musea - Ameland
- Site CWGC
- Site ABMC
- Bevrijdingsmuseum Zeeland